1. [A] It was dangerous to live in.
2. [B] A storm
3. [B] They were trapped in an underground elevator.
4. [C] They sent supplies to keep the miners warm.
5. [D] Close some of its post office.
6. [C] Stopping mail delivery on Saturdays.
7. [A] Many post office staff will lose their jobs.
8.[D] He will lose part of his pay.
9.[B] He is a trustworthy guy.
10.[D] She is better at handling such matters.
11.[C] He is always trying to stir up trouble.
13.[A] They stay quiet
14.[C] She was never invited to a colleague’s home.
15.[B] Houses provide more privacy
16. [D] They will automatically be given hiring priority.
17. [C] Visit the school careers service.
18. [B] Supervising study spaces to ensure a quiet atmosphere.
19. [C] It may be sold at a higher price.
20. [A] It is healthier than green tee.
21. [D] It does not have a stable market.
22. [B] They prefer unique objects of high quality.
23. [B] They could only try to create at night.
24. [A] Make wise choices.
25. [A] To boost the local economy.
26. [E] challenges
27. [J] searched
28. [D] categorizing
29. [K] similarities
30. [L] slightly
31. [G] percentage
32. [O] traditional
33. [ I ] regardless
34. [H] proving
35. [M] suggests
46. [B] He intends to get rid of the tipping practice.
47. [C] It forces the customer to comensate the waiter.
48. [D] They can have some say in how much their servers earn.
49. [A] Services quality has little effect on tip size.
50. [D] Waiters should be paid by employers instead of customers.
51. [C] The impact of cheap oil on global economic growth.
52. [D] Consumers will spend their savings from cheap oil on other commodities.
53. [C] They use their money reserves to back up consumption.
54. [B] Its negative effects more than cancel out its positive effects.
55. [A] People are not spending all the money they save on gas.
The color of red in Chinese culture usually means good luck, longevity and happiness. Red can be found everywhere during Chinese Spring Festival and other joyous occasions. Cashes often in red envelopes are sent to family members or close friends as gifts. Its popularity can also be attributed the fact that people accociate it with Chinese revolution and Communist Party. However, it does not always equal to good luck and joy in that the name of the dead used to be written in red. Using red ink to write names of Chinese people were seen as an offense.
With China’s reform and opening up, many young people tend to hold Western-style weddings these days. The bride wears a white wedding dress at the wedding, because white is considered as a symbol of purity. However, in traditional Chinese culture, white is often used in funerals, so be sure to remember that white flowers must not be used as a gift to the patient, especially not to the seniors or critically illed patients. Similarly, the cash gift cannot be packed in a white envelope, but in a red envelope.
The color of Yellow, because of its unique symbolic meaning, is very important in Chinese culture. In feudal society, it represents the rulers’ power and authority. At that time, the color was exclusively used for the emperor—the royal palace was painted yellow and the imperial robe was always yellow. However, the ordinary people were forbidden to wear clothes of the color yellow. In China, it also signifies harvest. The fields grow golden yellow in autumn when the crops mature. People celebrate the harvest cheerfully.
For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write an essay. Suppose you have two options upon graduation: one is to work in a state-owned business and the other in a joint venture. You are to make a choice between the two. Write an essay to explain the reasons for your choice. You should write at least 120 words but no more than 180 words.
Stated-owned business or Joint venture
Upon graduation, virtually all college students will confront the problem of the career choice，which is truly a tough choice. Students' opinions differ greatly on this issue. Some hold that there is no better way to get a decent job than working in a stated-owned business which will guarantee my life after retirement, but others take the attitude that a joint venture outweighs any other jobs as it may provide higher income for employees.
As to myself, I prefer the latter view. A joint venture, especially a high-salary joint venture, exerts a tremendous fascination on a great number of people, with no exception to me. Although it might be impossible to make sure my retirement pension is good enough, high-salary is exactly what I need just now. In my view, our career choices largely depend on where we want to stay for the rest of life. For me, metropolis is the place where I can grasp loads of opportunities and achieve my personal dreams. As I hold the view that live in the moment, not the future, and also in order to finance myself in some aspects such as the transportation, the house-renting, or social activities, a joint venture can satisfy my needs for the consumption I mentioned above.
In short, a joint venture is the first and only consideration in my choice of career.
For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write an essay. Suppose you have two options upon graduation: one is to find a job somewhere and the other to start a business of your own. You are to make a decision. Write an essay to explain the reasons for your decision. You should write at least 120 words but no more than 180 words.
Upon graduation, virtually all college students will confront the problem of the career choice，which is truly a tough choice. Students' opinions differ greatly on this issue. Some hold that priority should be given to start a business of your own, but others take the attitude that finding a job is the best choice influencing their future.
As to myself, I prefer the latter view. An opportunity to start a business exerts a tremendous fascination on a great number of people, with no exception to me. In my view, With the competition in the job market becoming increasingly fierce for college graduates，some ambitious students have tried their hands at launching their own businesses. Over the years，there have been many successful cases of student entrepreneurship and such attempts should be encouraged and promoted by both the universities and the society at large. What’s more ,College students who start businesses are pioneers，among whom will be born China’s future business leaders. Faced with unknown challenges， they are audacious enough to embark on a perilous journey while most of their peers enjoy stable salaries by working as white-collars at high-end office buildings.
All in all, the essential difference between the students who find a job or those students who create their own businesses is that the former are docile followers whereas the latter are aggressive trailblazers. For this reason， business-launching college graduates are more admirable，and thus they command our deep respect.
For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write an essay. Suppose you have two options upon graduation: one is to take a job in a company and the other to go to a graduate school. You are to make a choice between the two. Write an essay to explain the reasons for your choice. You should write at least 120 words but no more than 180 words.
Upon graduation, virtually all college students will confront the problem of the career choice，which is truly a tough choice. Students' opinions differ greatly on this issue. Some hold that priority should be given to take a job, but others take the attitude that going to a graduate school is the most critical factor influencing their future career choices.
As to myself, I prefer the latter view. A higher educational background exerts a tremendous fascination on a great number of people, with no exception to me. This phenomenon that the graduates have difficulties in finding job after their graduation can easily be found anywhere in our daily life, especially on campus. On the one hand, with the improved high education of Chinese college students which directly brought the result that there are more and more graduates every year. On the contrary, job vacancies don’t increase that fast. More people, less food, which is the exact description of the hard condition. On the other hand, more and more people go on to pursue their master and doctor degree; more and more Chinese oversea students come back to China to hunt better working chances. It is sure that the competition is more and more fierce.
Therefore, it is high time that we took effective measures to improve our own competitiveness. That is the secret of success in the future employment market after our graduation.
Section A Conversation
1. [C] It links the science of climate change to economic and policy issues.
2. [B] It would be more costly to deal with its consequences than to avoid it.
3. [A] The transition to low-carbon energy systems.
4. [C] Plan well in advance.
5. [B] What determines success.
6. [D] It means being good at seizing opportunities.
7. [D] Practice is essential to becoming good at something.
8. [C] Being passionate about work can make one wealthy.
Section B Passage
9. [A] To stump of a giant tree.
10. [B] Wind and water.
11. [D] It was created by supernatural powers.
12. [C] By lifting them well above the ground.
13. [A] They will buy something from the convenience stores.
14. [A] They can bring only temporary pleasures.
15. [D] Small daily savings an make a big difference in one's life.
Section C Lecture
16. [B] They are necessary in our lives.
17. [B] They feel too overwhelmed to deal with life's problem.
18. [A] They expand our mind.
19. [B] It came from a 3D printer.
20. [C] When she was studying at a fashion design school.
21. [C] It was hard and breakable.
22. [D] It marks a breakthrough in printing material.
23. [A] They arise from the advances in technology.
24. [D] It is intensively competitive.
25. [D] Sharing of costs with each other.
26. [O] vanished
27. [M] undergone
28. [D] expanding
29. [K] survived
30. [H] process
31. [L] terminals
32. [E] industrialized
33. [F] perceived
34. [B] conveniences
35. [G] practice
Countries Rush for Upper Hand in Antarctica
46. [D] It has little impact on their decision whether or not to quit smoking.
47. [A] Pass a law to standardise cigarette packaging.
48. [B] The number of smokes has dropped more sharply than in the UK.
49. [A] Prime Minister Cameron has been reluctant to take action.
50. [C] They made more British people obese.
51. [A] It is worthwhile after all.
52. [D] Most of them take jobs which don't require a college degree.
53. [C] Interactions among themselves outside the classroom.
54. [B] Meting people who will be helpful to you in the future.
55. [D] The prestige of the university influences employers' recruitment decisions.
With China’s booming economy, the number of people who learn Chinese grows rapidly. It makes Chinese become one of the favorite languages that people would like to learn. Recently, Chinese universities rise significantly in world university rankings. Since the significant progress made in Chinese education, it is no wonder that China has been one of the most favored places for overseas students. In 2015, nearly 40,0000 international students swarmed into the Chinese market. Not confined to Chinese language and culture, the subjects they choose to learn also include science and engineering. Although the global market is still dominated by US and UK, China is striving to catch up.
With the improvement of living standards, vacation plays a more important role in the Chinese life. In the past, they had spent most of their time making a living and barely had a chance to travel. However, China’s tourism industry flourishes in recent years. Economic prosperity and the emergence of the affluent middle class leads to an unprecedented tourism boom. Chinese people like to travel both at home and abroad, and overseas trips have become increasingly common among them. During the National Day holiday in 2016, tourism spending totaled more than 400 billion yuan. World Trade Organization estimates that China will become the world’s largest tourist country by 2020, and it will also become one of the fastest-growing countries on outbound tourism spending in the next few years.
Directions：For this part，you are allowed 30 minutes to write a short essay on creation. Your essay should include the importance of creation and measures to be taken to encourage creation. You are required to write at least 150 words but no more than 200 words.
Nowadays it is common to encounter a scene when people want to see things happen but can't make things happen for various reasons. The most important reason is that they just refuse to create and innovate. With the accelerated pace of our society, more and more people recognize the importance of creation that is bound to make a difference in social productivity.
As far as I am concerned, we should all have the notion of being the participants of supporting creation. First of all, creation is the most vital factor to improve the inner competitiveness of our nation. For another, it is certain that creation is so essential that enables many people to find their positions in the company and careers in their lives.
Measures are also needed to encourage creation. First and foremost, the government should establish certain rules to sweep up the obstacles of invention. Some people have already complained much about com
Directions：For this part，you are allowed 30 minutes to write a short essay on innovation. Your essay should include the importance of innovation and measures to be taken to encourage innovation. You are required to write at least 150 words but no more than 200 words.
In today's highly competitive world, innovation matters enormously to an organization or a country. It is the driving force behind increased competitiveness.
Take growing a successful business as an example. In this day and age, social media are gaining popularity among the general public. A company that only relies on traditional media doing its marketing is more likely to get eliminated in the digital era. Put in another way, a company with its focus on social media to boost its brand recognition stands a better chance of standing out from the crowd. Clearly, innovation is a vital contributing factor to business success.
What can be done to encourage innovation? To name only a few: Above all, a business or a country should strive to build a corporate culture or a social climate that values innovation. Second, anyone who participates in the innovation process should be rewarded. Third, we are in urgent need of an education system that stresses innovation over mechanical learning.
Simply put, innovation is an important force that pushes our society forward.
⊙来源 | 有道考神