1. 特有的 be peculiar to
2. 理论上 in the abstract
3. 滤除 filter out
4. 一切准备就绪 be geared up
5. 一档 first gear
6. 抚养滋养培育 nourish
7. 因为...的缘故 for thesake of
8. 召集 convene
9. 收视率，估价 ratings
10. 用绑带包扎 bandage up
11. 有...的把握 have assurance of
12. 基于on the basis of
13. 绕...环行一周 make acircuit of
14. 吸出 suck out
15. criterioncriteria 标准准则原则
16. 对...的愤怒 the flapabout
17. 外部的，表面的，外用的 external
18. 贬值 slide to/from
19. 物质，根据，要点，重要性 substance
20. 犯罪的 criminal
21. 表明 testify to
23. 稳定，稳固性 stability
24. 征服，控制，占领的地区 conquest
25. 巨大的，精彩的，了不起的 tremendous
26. 消除 eliminate
27. 重叠 overlap
28. 青少年 adolescent
29. 构想想出 conceive of/as sth.
30. 琐碎的 小气的 petty
31. 主持(会议);担任(会议)主席 preside
32. 成熟的，成熟 mature
33. 追赶 chaseafter
34. 表明 it isindicated that
35. 对...贪心 be greedyfor
36. 投资 invest in
37. 团 簇 群 组 聚集 cluster
38. 冒犯辱骂 insultto sb./sth.
39. 剥夺 deprivesb. of sth.
40. 矫正 rectify
41. 超出(数量);超越(法律命令等的)限制 exceed
42. 无知 ignorance
43. 将...限制于 confineto
44. 与...连接，结合 link upwith
45. 密集 稠密 密度 density
46. 极糟的 灾难性的 disastrous
47. 着火 点燃 ignite
48. 遵从 complywith sth
49. 运送;使充满 freight
50. 经验主义的 empirical
51. 饥荒 famine
52. 极好的 marvelous
53. 将...漠视化地视为 stereotype...as...
54. 使糊涂 bewilder
55. 纪念 commemorate
56. 完全的，陡峭的，垂直的 sheer
57. 残酷的 刺眼的 harsh
58. 围住 附上 enclose
59. 辗转反侧 toss andturn
1. abide by(=be faithful to obey)忠于;遵守
2. be absent from…. 缺席，不在
3. absence of mind(=being absent-minded)
4. (be) abundant in
(be rich in; be well supplied with) 富于,富有
5. access(to) (不可数名词) 能接近,进入,了解
6. by accident
(=by chance, accidentally) 偶然地,意外
7. in accord with 与…致.
out of one’s accord with 同….不一致
8. with one accord
(=with everybody agreeing) 一致地
9. in accordance with
(=in agreement with) 依照,根据
10. take…into account
11. give sb. an account of 说明, 解释
12. on no account (=in no case, for no reason)
13. be accustomed to
(=be in the habit of, be used to) 习惯于
14. be acquainted with
(=to have knowledge of) 了解;
(=to have met socially ) 熟悉
15. act on 奉行,按照,行动;
act as 扮演;
act for 代理
16. adapt oneself to(=adjust oneself to)
17. adapt (for)
(=make sth. Suitable for a new need)
18. in addition (=besides) 此外, 又
19. in addition to
(=as well as, besides, other than) 除…外
20. adhere to (=abide by, conform to, comply with insist on, pe rsist in, observe, opinion, belief ) 粘附; 坚持, 遵循
21. adjacent(=next to, close to) 毗邻的, 临近的
22. adjust..(to) (=change slightly) 调节; 适应;
23. admit of (=be capable of, leave room for)
24. in advance (before in time) 预告, 事先
25. to advantage 有利的,使优点更加突出地
26. have an advantage over 胜过.
have the advantage of 由于…处于有利条件
have the advantage of sb
27. take advantage of (=make the best of, utilize, make use of, profit from, harness) 利用
28. agree with 赞同(某人意见)
agree to 同意
29. in agreement (with) 同意, 一致
30. in all (=counting everyone or everything
altogether) 总共, 总计
31. after all 毕竟,到底;
(not) at all 一点也不;
all at once(=suddenly)突然;
once and for all 只此一次;
32. allow for (=take into consideration, take into
account) 考虑到, 估计到
33. amount to (=to be equal to) 总计, 等于
34. be anxious about 为…焦急不安;
35. apologize to sb. for sth. 为…向…道歉
36. appeal to sb. for sth. 为某事向某人呼吁.
appeal to sb. 对某人有吸引力
37. apply to sb. for sth. 为…向…申请;
apply for申请; apply to 适用.
38. apply to 与…有关;适用
39. approve of (=consent to, be in favor of, favor, agree to, consider good, right) 赞成
40. arise from(=be caused by) 由…引起
41. arrange for sb.sth. to do sth. 安排…做…
42. arrive on 到达;
arrive at 到达某地(小地方);得出,作出;
arrive in 到达某地(大地方);
43. be ashamed of (=feel shame) 以… 为羞耻
44. assure sb. of sth. (=try to cause to believe or t rust in sth.) 向…保证, 使…确信.
45. attach(to) (=to fix, fasten; join) 缚, 系,结
46. make an attempt at doing sth. (to do sth.)
47. attend to
(=give one’s attention, care and thought)
48. attitude to toward …对…的态度.看法
49. attribute…to… 把..归因于.., 认为..是..的结果
50. on the average
(=on average, on an average) 平均
51. (be) aware of (=be conscious of , having know ledge or consciou sness) 意识到,知道.
52. at the back of (=behind) 在…后面
53. in the back of 在…后部(里面); on the back of
be on one’s back (=be ill in bed) 卧病不起
President Coolidge's statement, "The business of America is business," still points to an important truth today-that business institutions have more prestige (威望) in American society than any other kind of organization, including the government. Why do business institutions possess this great prestige?
One reason is that Americans view business as being more firmly based on the ideal of competition than other institutions in society. Since competition is seen as the major source of progress and prosperity by most Americans, competitive business institutions are respected. Competition is not only good in itself,
it is the means by which other basic American values such as individual freedom, equality of opportunity, and hard work are protected.
Competition protects the freedom of the individual by ensuring that there is no monopoly(垄断) of power. In contrast to one, all-powerful government, many businesses compete against each other for profits. Theoretically, if one business tries to take unfair advantage of its customers, it will lose to competing business which treats its customers more fairly. Where many businesses compete for the customers' dollar, they cannot afford to treat them like inferiors or slaves.
A contrast is often made between business, which is competitive, and government, which is a monopoly. Because business is competitive, many Americans believe that it is more supportive of freedom than government,even though government leaders are elected by the people and business leaders are not. Many Americans believe, then, that competition is as important,or even more important,than democracy in preserving freedom.
Competition in business is also believed to strengthen the ideal of equality of opportunity. Competition is seen as an open and fair race where success goes to the swiftest person regardless of his or her social class background. Competitive success is commonly seen as the American alternative to social rank based onfamily background. Business is therefore viewed as and expression of the idea of equality of
opportunity rather than the aristocratic(贵族的) idea of inherited privilege.
Choose correct answers to the question:
1. The statement "The business of America is business" probably means"________".
A. The business institutions in America are concerned with commerce
B. Business problems are of great importance to the American government
C. Business is of primary concern to Americans
D. America is a great power in world business
2. Americans believe that they can realize their personal values only_____ .
A. when given equality of opportunity
B. through doing business
C. by protecting their individual freedom
D. by way of competition
3. Who can benefit from business competition?
A. Honest businessmen.
B. Both businessmen and their customers.
C. People with ideals of equality and freedom
D. Both business institutions and government.
4. Government is believed to differ strikingly from business in that government is characterized by ____.
A. its absolute control of power
B. its function in preserving personal freedom
C. its role in protecting basic American values
D. its democratic way of exercising leadership
5. It can be inferred from the passage that the author believes _____ .
A. Americans are more ambitious than people in other countries
B. in many countries success often depends on one's social status
C. American businesses are more democratic than those in other countries
D. businesses in other countries are not as competitive as those in America